Friday, October 18, 2013

Driving Ms Daisy

After our the second of our three cats died in August, #3 was obsessed about getting a new cat. "Psycho is lonely. We need to get her a baby," he'd say.  Uh, she's 14. I think she's WAY beyond wanting babies. Yes, our cat is named Psycho. Did you expect anything less?

#3 doesn't have a lot of currencies, that is, things don't matter very much to him. When he is in trouble or going down the road to trouble, if you threaten to take away his toys, he won't care. There is very little he is interested in besides his legos and on some days, not even them.

So when his birthday was approaching and we asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he immediately said, "I want a cat." And the answer never changed, not once.

One afternoon I took him to the animal shelter so he could look at cats. One cat took an instant liking to me. I looked down to see which cat was rubbing against my legs and as soon as saw her, I said, "well hello, big fatty." She was a tortoise shell cat with a little dainty face and little paws and a HUGE belly, and a little short tail. #3 heard me, laughed and said, "she needs a last name. Let's call her Big Fatty Mailbox." I bent down to pet her and she swatted at me. One of the workers warned me, "be careful, she isn't very nice." I guess she'll be there forever. See ya Big Fatty Mailbox.

After the trip, he told me he still wanted a kitten. I guess we were going to have to do it.

After a potential kitten fell through, we took the whole crew back to the shelter. This time, they had kittens. After the kids played with a few of them, #2 declared we were going to adopt one and went with me to inquire about adoption. Entirely on his own, he approached a woman and asked her if she worked there. When she said "yes", he told her "we want to adopt a kitten. It is orange. Come with me." I didn't get a word in. I guess we really were adopting a cat. I was just going to inquire about it.

We paid and loaded everyone in the van. The new kitten in her travel box was placed securely on #3's lap. As we drove home, I asked the kids what we should name it. #3 answered, "let's name her Ms. Daisy" and all the kids agreed.

I had to keep myself from cracking up that we were driving miss daisy home.

Miss Daisy, welcome to Casa de Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and what you've experienced.

A Letter to the parent of the child that beat mine up

  Dear Parent of the child that beat mine,  I want to tell you how your child's actions have affected my family. For some reason, whatev...