Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Wake me up when September ends


My coffee keeps me busy until 
it's time to get drunk.Every Labor day, I sit down with my last summer beer and think about the next 10 weeks. It is a crazy time for us. Within the next eight weeks, I have #2, #3, & #1's birthdays, our 17th wedding anniversary, school events, and countless soccer practices and games for three children.

If that wasn't enough, I decided to make things crazier by head coaching #3's team and assistant coaching the twins' team.

And it that wasn't enough. I realized that the PTA event I volunteered to chair, Disability awareness week, is in October too.

And if everything else above wasn't enough, I volunteered to be co-class mom for two classes.

"Just breathe", said Ryan Starr.  Didn't I just get a message from Adrienne to not spread myself too thin? Thin is subjective, just ask Karen Carpenter.

The old adage goes, "want something done, ask someone busy to do it." But the truth is, all my friends think I'm nuts. And they're right. Lucky for me, I am awesome at delegating. My ADHD shining though in a time of need.  

So how am I going to do it?

I'm combining #2 & #3's class parties. They will have their family parties on the day of their birthday and then they will celebrate at our friends bounce house together.  For the second year in a row, #1 told me he wanted a party instead of an electronic device. This is amazing and awesome and he will get whatever he wants, because it is just that awesome.

If we are lucky enough to have a babysitter, we will go out on our anniversary, otherwise, we'll do some sushi take-out after the kids go to sleep.

With soccer, I hope we can get #3 through the season without last year's constant declarations, "I hate soccer." I arranged for two of his teammates from last year to be on his team to give him a better transition. I secured enough Lego from Goodwill and EBay to bribe him all season long if necessary. The girls will be fine and probably just as fickle and whiny as all the other kids, no worries there.

Probably the most challenging will be the disability week. I have never done it before and I have no clue what is in store. I have to coordinate all the events and invite certain guests to come like the Ravens wheelchair basketball team to play against the teachers. I have to tap into what has been done in the past and then add to it. I must admit that I get a little giddy at the thought of the "try-on a disability" table and some of the kids getting to be "non-verbal for a while. I have visions of duct tape dancing in my head.

The class Halloween parties should be fine. I have great co-class moms that I can defer to who get my insanity.

I know over the next 10 weeks, something will be forgotten, someone will be angry and I'll be apologizing to someone, but I also know that I'd be doing that if I had committed to one thing or 10.

Just make sure the beer fridge is full. Because after two soccer games on a Saturday, a liquid lunch will be a necessity.

And then after we've finished everything, we can start Ice Hockey season. 
Bring it. At least then, I can hang on the bleachers with the other moms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think and what you've experienced.

A Letter to the parent of the child that beat mine up

  Dear Parent of the child that beat mine,  I want to tell you how your child's actions have affected my family. For some reason, whatev...